Monday, July 20, 2009

FINLAND, FINLAND, FINLAND and England and Canada and A BETTER WORLD

THIS JUST IN! To see me on the cable TV show A Better World TV tune in tomorrow on-Line or in Manhattan watch it on Ch. 57 (RCN: 84). The show I'm on will be webcast Tuesday July 21, 2009 at 10:30 PM at http://abetterworld.net/tv.htm for if you're in Manhattan and have cable check it out on channel 57/84. This was a fun show. I'm looking forward to seeing it. I taped it in March so I've pretty much forgotten what I said.

I have extensively updated my 2009 Tour Page. It now includes more info on the Finland tour. For even greater detail you can check out the Dogen Sangha Finland page. This also includes the incredibly exciting news that my movie Cleveland's Screaming! will be screened at the Espoo Cine International Film Festival on Wednesday August 26, 2009 at 9 pm. Be there or be an iceberg!

Also note that I have added dates in England Town (or try this link). I will be in Durham on Sept. 11, London Sept. 12 and Bristol Sept. 14. The exact locations have yet to be determined. I'll post them as soon as I know. I am shopping for a bowler hat and umbrella now.

Also notice that I'm trying to set up a Northwest Tour in November. I have tentative bookings in Victoria and Vancouver, BC that month. So I'm trying to set up gigs in Seattle, Portland or elsewhere in the area. A few months ago there were a bunch of people begging me to come to those cities. But since I got word on the Victoria and Vancouver thing and e-mailed those people they all ran away and hid like scared bunnies. They were so enthusiastic before, too. What gives?

If you got some info please write me at spoozilla@gmail.com

I need to make a permanent webpage about this. But for now here's a bit of info on what it takes if you want me to come speak in your city. In no particular order:

• I don't have a manager, booking agency or other intermediary to set this stuff up. I wish I did. But I don't. I also don't have an entourage or roadies or any real organization behind me to speak of.
• I don't have a set fee, but I can no longer afford to do this stuff for free like I used to. We can talk...
• I need transportation, meals and lodging covered for sure. I cannot do anything at all without at least this much.
• Signings at bookstores are fun and nice. But they never pay! So it's never going to be enough just to have one of those.
• Bookstores also don't allow me to sell my own copies of my books. I can make a lot more money selling my own copies.
• If I get a paying gig somewhere I can tag on non-paying gigs in the same city. That's how I usually operate.
• Universities tend to be best because they pay actual money.

Those are the major issues involved. If you think you can solve any or all of them, then I will be happy to come speak in your town.

19 comments:

Blake said...

First bitches!

Mike Hinsley said...

Unbelievable!

You're gonna be in town when I'm outa town.

Maybe im the next life then....

Anonymous said...

Wow Brad, we're gonna be missin' ya!
Seems you'll be back in Oct to do your laundry and grab a change of clothes.

Mr. Reee said...

When plying the trade up in the Seattle area, Brad might try the Unitarian Church for a reading place.

Don't know that they pay anything, but they may have some folks willing to house and feed a wandering zenji.

Mumon said...

I could ask around...but if it's any consolation to you, I just clicked on "Genpo Roshi on Eckart Tolle's Power of the Now" or something like that.

Google Ads. Irony by algorithm.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brad,
Great homage to the greatest psychedelic IMHO album and band of the sixties Love. The snot has caked against my pants ..... Geekily yours Paul :-)

Uku said...

Hahhaa, that video is insane! Great stuff!

Sorry everyone, I screwed up with Dogen Sangha Finland's link. Here's the repaired one:

http://www.dogensanghafinland.org/bwarner_inenglish.php (last time it was ...ineglish.php)

Yes Brad, we're repairing famous Finnish sauna for you..

Uku said...

And here's some pre-info about Brad's movie "Cleveland's Screaming!" in Espoo Ciné International Film Festival (this pre-info seems to be only in Finnish, sorry; check other English details from www in Brad's post):

http://www.espoocine.fi/fi/2009/lippukauppa?lang=fin&tctpage=movieinfo&&movieid=421

Anonymous said...

GET A JOB!

anon #108 said...

"GET A JOB"?

You can only be living in the United States of America, right - where the puritan ethic still thrives amid greed and licentious libertinism? (I'm fond of the place myself).

What is this "job" of which you speak? What defines one useful activity as worthy while others are contemptuously dismissed as not? Payment? It seems that Brad isn't starving, and has a roof over his head, so it's safe to assume that he is rewarded for (some) of his efforts. I don't see the problem. He's not asking for donations (a practice with a long and illustrious history), he's simply stating what's required if you'd like him to stop by your town and speak about stuff.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Warner:

How much to come to my area and shut the fuck up?

Take care,
Mr. A

Anonymous said...

I've read all your books. And I have been a fan of your blog. But now that it's becoming nothing more than a marketing tool for your writing career, it no longer interests me.
What happened to you?

Mr. Reee said...

Re: anon@12:05 "...What happened to you?"

If I may be so brash as to speak on Brad's behalf (and as a fellow scribbler), it's very *very* difficult to earn a living at writing, and a writer's gotta eat.

If Brad wants to promote his efforts via his blog, why not?

Besides, his work thus far is about the nature of the dharma, as is this blog, so there's no disconnect there either.

I suppose if he started pushing brand-name appliances here, there might be some room for a beef (unless it's those cool Whirlpool Duet washer and dryers... those are da bomb.)

Anonymous said...

my guess would be that before, this maybe was the place where creative writing juices would flow, (things written here got included in what became books) but it seems the activity of writing now happens elsewhere, and this place has become more of general purpose post it board of scheduled events, planned trips, tales of the now and then unusual experience while traveling or at home.
kind of like the stuff I find in the bottom of my purse,
notes to self, fliers, announcements, the odd postcard, etc.

Smoggyrob said...

Hi everyone:

That SG was paying Brad to write else-blog make the changes in his writing on this blog understandable, to me. And his SG blog was free, so it's not like I really missed anything.

Brad, IMO, appears quite averse to being a teacher. There are some similarities between some zen teachers, and Brad doesn't seem to share them. I've done dokusan with him once, in metal folding chairs on the back porch. Brad's was on the wheelchair ramp, so he was leaning way back. There were no formalities and it started with the conversational equivalent of "So, wassup?". He's never given any of us in LA the precepts, though he's been asked. He seems more comfortable in a Q&A than a dharma talk. Actually Brad excels at Q&A, and the things he says that strike me the most usually come in a casual form.

At times the fact that I want him to be "more like a teacher" gets on my reserve nerve (that's the one after my "last nerve"). Other times I wonder if it isn't a good thing. It's how I think we should elect presidents: somehow find the person who least wants to be POTUS and drag them kicking and screaming to the White House. People who want positions of authority too much unnerve me. For example, I know someone who really, really wanted to be a zen teacher, and became one. I wouldn't waste a minute with them, you could get teaching just as valuable from a Virtual Zen Master (tm) program.

Perhaps Brad's lack of enthusiasm for the job makes him a great teacher. It's not really any more complicated then we make it, anyways. Maybe he has some insight but lacks practical teaching skills. It could be that he's a fiendish cult-leader and I'm a helpless victim. Maybe annoying your student is teaching. To quote the man, "Fuck if I know."

Rob

Matt said...

Smoggy Rob:

Ever read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

"To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting elected President should on no account be allowed to do the job. To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem. "

Anonymous said...

In a Hierarchy Every person Tends to Rise to His Level of Incompetence. Formulated by Dr. Laurence J. Peter and Raymond Hull, It holds that in a hierarchy, members are promoted so long as they are competent. Sooner or later they are placed into a position at which they are no longer competent (their "level of incompetence"), and there they remain, being unable to gain further promotions. Peter's Corollary states that "in time, every post tends to be occupied by a person who is incompetent to carry out his duties" and adds that "work is accomplished by those people who have not yet reached their level of incompetence".

coburn said...

What's with the Finland video? The "doll girls with insect-like-eyes"? Where did these figures come from? Some disturbed person's barely-sublimated child-sex compulsions? They're creepy. They are not children. They're aliens disquised as insect-children to satisfy someone's (a dude, fellow, male no doubt) needs I don't want to know about. They piss me off. Fraud.
Nothing against Finland. I have great respect for Finland, Linus Whatsizname that gave us Linux, Aki Kurismaki and all his work. But I never want to see this insect-doll-not-really-a-child shit again.

Fiona Robyn said...

Looking forward to coming to wherever you are when you're in London.